Woman Injured When Her Headphone Exploded Mid-Air

Tuning into some favorite music mid-air on a pleasant flight journey suddenly turned out to be a nightmare for an Australian woman. Flying can sometimes be quite stressful for some people who feel discomfort due to the continuous noise while on board. So, in order to get some relief from the noisy ambience, some people resort to their favorite music. The same was the case with this Australian woman who was using a headphone that was battery-powered to make her flight journey as soothing as possible.

earphones accident featured

With a sudden and completely unexpected turn of events, this costs her dear. While she was peacefully sleeping, tuned in to her music with the headphones plugged into her ears, she was jolted out of her sleep with burns on her hands and face as those same headphones that gave her sweet music, had caught fire and led to this unpleasant situation. this was a very unfortunate event for the woman. Her identity is being kept hidden for privacy reasons and to spare her of the embarrassment that this has caused her.

earphones accident

The incident happened during a flight from Beijing to Melbourne when the headphones behaved unexpectedly and got exploded while still plugged into the woman’s ears. The horrifying picture below shows the condition of her burnt face after the explosion.  Her face can be seen covered with soot with her hairline and eyebrows completely singed.

Later, the woman issued a statement to the Australian Transport Safety Bureau, saying,“As I went to turn around I felt burning on my face. I just grabbed my face which caused the headphones to go around my neck. I continued to feel burning so I grabbed them off and threw them on the floor.

“They were sparking and had small amounts of fire. As I we not to stamp my foot on them the flight attendants were already there with a bucket of water to pour on them. They put them into the bucket at the rear of the plane.”

The plastic material with which the headphones were made, got stuck to the floor of the plane. In spite of this shocking event, it was decided by the flight crew that the case was not severe enough for the plane to be landed urgently as they could easily douse the fire off. Co-passengers were coughing and choking due to the fumes from the burning plastic that they were subjected to inhale in the plane. Investigations revealed that the headphones had lithium-powered batteries.

Passengers have since been warned by The Australian Transport Safety Bureau to be very careful if they are using such devices to check that they are in proper condition to avoid any further mishap in future.

LOAD COMMENTS